Monday, May 11, 2009

Non-Running

I meant to post this earlier this week ...

I saw Hunter, Zen and Lenore on Monday ... I had to take Hunter's x-ray, and I was breaking down in the middle of the exam (I left the room to find a semblance of composure). I think the fact that Zen was obviously struggling, and that Hunter was so uncomfortable really got to me ... When Zen asked if I could do the exam with Hunter laying down it honestly felt like I may as well have sucker-punched Zen when I told him we needed to do the x-ray with Hunter sitting up--even though it was much more uncomfortable for Hunter ...

Never have I wanted to do what is normally a very simple exam less than I wanted to do that particular one. Never before have I been so affected by a patient, and it is carrying over to other patients as well ... During a portable x-ray on 10S, a little boy was asking the nurse, his mother, and me why we were doing this to him (referring to making him uncomfortable again for a chest x-ray), and I wanted to break down again ... my heart breaks for Hunter, and all these kids going through this battle that I cannot begin to comprehend.

If you are reading this--please follow the link on this page to Hunters blog and leave him and his family some love.

Peace & love,
MJ

No comments: